About the game
Leeds is a vibrant modern city bursting with attractions and rich Victorian heritage and this tour is designed to show you the best of it! It’s also compact and easy to explore on foot which makes it perfect for a treasure hunt. Concerts, shopping and a vibrant nightlife attract visitors from all over the north to Leeds, giving the town its distinctive Yorkshire vibe.
You’ll start outside Leeds Art Gallery before making your way through the city on your very own adventure. By searching for clues across the city, you’ll discover hidden treasure you never knew existed!
What you’ll do
You’ll be led around the city by Captain Bess, a snarky pirate who’s testing out new recruits to join her ship!
Bess will send a series of maps, clues and directions. You follow the map and solve the clue by searching your
surroundings. When you get the right answer, you’ll move on to the next place.
Don’t worry, if you get stuck you can ask for a hint and Bess’ll get you on your way!
What you’ll see
Along the way you’ll see lots of sights and Bess will tell you some fun facts about some of them. It’s a perfect way
of discovering things you might want to come back to.
- Victoria Quarter - A beautiful and premium shopping arcade decorated in rich marble and gilded mosaics.
- Leeds Art Gallery - Home to a fab collection of 20th-century British paintings and sculpture, it also presents a great exhibitions programme.
- Corn Exchange - This iconic Victorian building now houses a raft of Yorkshire's best independent businesses.
- Kirkgate Indoor Market - This Edwardian building is a shoppers paradise. Fresh food, drink, flowers, hardware, jewellery, it's got it all!
- Leeds Town Hall - This grand 19th-century municipal hall is currently closed for a major refurbishment and will offer a first-class venue when it re-opens in 2024.
- Thornton's Arcade - A stunning example of Victorian architecture, this arcade boasts beautiful wrought iron arches, a gorgeous glass roof and the hilarious Ivanhoe Clock!
- Tiled Hall Cafe - A hidden gem tucked away inside Leeds Art Gallery, this cafe is a great spot for a rest with it's stunning ornate tiles and grand columns.
- Holy Trinity Church - This splendid parish church is located in the heart of Leeds, tucked in next to Trinity Leeds vibrant shopping centre.
- St Paul's House - This former warehouse and cloth cutting works has magnificent architecture and really stands out amongst the other Georgian buildings in the square.
What else you should know
- Take your time—it’s more enjoyable to see everything at your own pace. There's a scheduled
break around half-way, but you can take your own breaks if you prefer.
- Aim to finish before sunset—it's near impossible to find clues in the dark! Check
the sunset time
- You can play in 2 parts—if it suits your plans, you can pause the game and come back after lunch
or even the next day.
- Bess will be scoring you! Your score is the number of clues you got right first time, without a
hint. The score is only for your satisfaction, so don’t struggle needlessly!
How the game works
The game works a bit like a WhatsApp group, but on a web page instead. You don’t need to download anything and it
doesn’t need any permissions.
Before you’re due to start, we’ll send you a link to the game. Open the link to join the game and share it with your
team so they can join too.
Once you’re ready, Captain Bess will tell you what to do next.
What to bring
- Smartphones with mobile data and full batteries. (It’s OK to share, but it works better if everyone has their own
- Shoes for walking 2 miles.
- Waterproofs in case of bad weather.
- Wit, cunning and an adventurous spirit!
We've designed the game to be step-free around the whole route. The recommended
pubs at half-way and at the end of the game have step-free front access and an
We are currently looking for wheelchair users to play-test the game
before we call it "wheelchair friendly".
If you'd like to test the game, please get in touch!